Saturday, August 21, 2010

Social Studies: Neighbourhoods around the World

Our first Social Studies Unit is about Neighbourhoods/Community Helpers. Students will learn about the different kinds of neighbourhoods that exists, most notably City vs. Country (Rural). As luck has it I grew up, and my family still resides, in a small rural community in Ontario. We live on a gravel road, have a big pond with wildlife and live in a neighbourhood with many farms surrounding us. Thus our neighbours have given my nephews and neice a chance to visit their farms. I will be sharing many pictures with the students this week, and I've included some below.

We will also discuss what types of buildings, animals etc we see in a city. But of course cities change from country to country, place to place. If you have any pictures of the landscape or the neighbourhood you live in either in Seoul or in another country please send it to me via my email. I will post the pictures on our blog and also show the students how cities/places vary from place to place.

Thanks for your help,

Enjoy a taste of a rural community in Ontario, Canada!
(PS Thanks to my Mom and Sister, Melissa, for sending me the photos!)

My nephew, Cooper hiding in the wheat!
My sister Jamie-Lynn and her son Jacob with a cow!


My nephew Carter with all of the farm fresh eggs!


My dad and my nephew Jacob hoeing the garden in our front yard.

Helping Cooper ride a bike on the road in front of my home.

Raccoons sneaking into the bird feeder in my backyard!

A family affair!

A neighbouring farm.

The pond on the side of my home, with lots of Canadian Geese on a stop over during migration south for the winter.

Sheep at a neighbour's farm.


The swan and our duck having a corn snack!

Mennonite horses who pull a carriage for their owners. A small townnear to mine has many mennnonites who still use this method of transportation.

Baby chickens who will grow up to lay eggs for market.

Straw bails.

Female chickens in a farm laying eggs (one a day).

The quiet road outside of my home!


Goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment